Monday, November 7, 2011

The Only Constant...

...is change.

You may have heard the saying before. Growing up, my father liked to remind me that change is constant, to be adaptable, open-minded and willing to try new things. I think that his lesson has served me well, though I never imagined I would apply it to food allergies. But, here it is, staring me in the face yet again this morning. After two flopped attempts to make pancakes without eggs, grains or nut flours, I'm beginning to think that perhaps I should just cherish my childhood memories of fluffy pancakes and move on.

It's hard to give up on pancakes though, especially when a certain adorable two year old is requesting them so sweetly. Maybe I'll keep trying, and simply give up on the expectation of achieving anything akin to fluffy. Fortunately, my son's idea of pancakes are much different from mine, making him much easier to please.


Go ahead and laugh. This was the better of the two attempts! Perhaps I just need to change my definition of pancake. Perhaps it could be any batter-like mass that is round and cooked on a griddle.

4 comments:

adventuresindinner said...

Just wanted to drop you a line and say that I love your blog and have nominated you for a Leibster award. All the information about it is on my blog. Have a great day.

Andrea said...

I feel for you, i wonder why he had lots of allergies. Don't you think that maybe effect of when he is still inside? I am sure it is a very difficult situation for a mother, but you are wonderful. I salute you!

Shanon Hilton said...

Hi Adventures in Dinner! Wow, thank you very much! This will be my third time receiving it! :)

Shanon Hilton said...

Hi Andrea,

I'm sure genetics plays a role, as well as the dysfunctional gut flora that I likely passed on to him.

Kids today are also exposed to so many more toxins than we ever were at that age - via the mother after conception to birth and beyond.

I'm sure it's not just one factor, but many that all combine together to create an overwhelming burden for their little immune systems!