Saturday, October 22, 2011

Recipe: Pumpkin Seed Coconut Flour Pie Crust

Pie season is upon us. There is no better way to show off the summer's bounty than in pie format. But, what do you do when your family has grain and nut allergies? Compotes are all fine and dandy, but from time to time it is nice to have something akin to a traditional, flaky pie crust. While this recipe may not fall completely under the description of 'flaky', it did turn out to make a pretty decent pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving!


Note: I usually soak and dry a large batch of pumpkin seeds to have on hand. Using the ratio of one tablespoon of sea salt to two cups of pumpkin seeds, cover everything with water and soak for 8-12 hours. Rinse and drain in a colander. Preheat oven to 250° and place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Turn frequently until crispy and dry.

Pumpkin Seed Coconut Flour Crust (makes 1 crust)
1 1/4 raw pumpkin seeds, soaked, dried and ground
1/2 cup coconut flour
2 Tblsp maple syrup or liquid honey
4-5 Tblsp coconut oil
pinch of sea salt

Preheat oven to 350°. In a food processor, pulse pumpkin seeds until finely ground. Add coconut flour and sea salt and mix until blended. Using a pastry knife, cut in the coconut oil and honey. Look for a consistency that holds together, but is still crumbly. Too much oil will cause the pie to loose it's shape while baking; too little oil will prevent it from sticking together in the pie plate. Gradually add more oil as needed. Press into a pie plate. If you plan to bake a pie in the shell, pre-bake the shell for 15 minutes. If the pie is in the raw format, bake the shell for 30 minutes. Enjoy!

Linked to Wellness Weekend, Grain-free Real Food, Sugar-Free Sunday, Weekend Gourmet, Monday Mania, Barn Hop, Mouthwatering Monday, Fat Tuesday, Tea Party Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Real Food Wednesday, WFMW, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Health2Day, Full Plate Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter, Fight Back Friday, Allergy-Friendly Friday, Freaky Friday, Allergy-Free Friday, Fresh Bites Friday, Living Well, Go-Ahead, It's Gluten-free.

Featured on:

22 comments:

farmersmarketvegan said...

Hello, hello, Shanon! I just nominated your blog for a Liebster award--congrats! I truly admire your use of food as medicine and am insanely jealous of your almost self-sustainable kitchen.
http://farmersmarketvegan.wordpress.com/2011/10/22/vegan-mofo-15-passing-on-the-liebster-love/

becky3086 said...

How interesting! I never thought of grinding up pumpkin seeds. We usually just eat them roasted and salted.

Shanon Hilton said...

Hi Farmersmarketvegan - I'll be sure to pass on the Liebster love, thank you so much for thinking of me!

Becky3086 - We had to get creative with cooking when we discovered that my son was allergic to nuts and that neither of us can tolerate grains! It really is quite tasty! Thanks for stopping by!

PaulaB52 said...

This sounds interesting. I"m assuming since you're using coconut flour, it's a bit more flaky tasting than almond flour alone?

I'm going to give this a try.

Shanon Hilton said...

Yes, the coconut flour is the key to keeping the crust light and the coconut oil aids in the flakiness of the crust. Let me know if you try it!

Robin @ Happily Home, After said...

Shanon,

I'd love to try this recipe; we use coconut flour a lot and I've been searching for a pie crust recipe using alternative flours.

Question: Where do you purchase raw pumpkin seeds (or are they from your pumpkins?) In stores around here, even at Whole Foods and Fresh Market, the pumpkin seeds are roasted & often salted.

Robin
happilyhomeafter.blogpspot.com

Shanon Hilton said...

We buy our raw pumpkin seeds in bulk from Superstore in the natural foods isle. We can also find them bulk at Nutters. I'm not sure if you have either of those stores where you live? Hope that helps! --S

beyond the peel said...

What a great recipe. Nut free and wheat free. I'll give this recipe a try for sure. Love the idea.

Trish - Sweetology101 said...

what a unique idea! thx for sharing.

Liberty said...

Oh i have needed this recipe - cannot wait to try it. Here's what we do to protect out egg supply: http://bit.ly/uqFMmK
BLessings!

Mary said...

This will be a great recipe for the crust of my pumpkin pies this year! Thank you for sharing :)

Jacqueline said...

Fantastic recipe. I use walnut crusts without flour but I have a few friends that are nut allergic so I will be giving this a try! Coming by from the Foodie Friday Hop but glad I met a like minded soul.

Brittany Kerlin said...

Can't wait to try this! 1 question, can i freeze these crusts? prebaked or not?

Shanon Hilton said...

Hi Brittany, Good question. I haven't tried freezing them before. I would venture to say that you should freeze them unbaked. You wouldn't want it to get soggy when it thawed if it were already cooked. If you try that, let me know how it works out for you! --Shanon

realfoodforager said...

Thanks for linking your great post to FAT TUESDAY. This was very interesting! Hope to see you next week!

Be sure to visit RealFoodForager.com on Sunday for Sunday Snippets – your post from Fat Tuesday may be featured there!

http://realfoodforager.com/2011/10/fat-tuesday-october-25-2011/

If you have grain-free recipes please visit my Grain-Free Linky Carnival in support of my 28 day grain-free challenge! It will be open until November 2.

http://realfoodforager.com/2011/10/grain-free-real-food-linky-carnival/

Miz Helen said...

What a great idea, this recipe would have the best flavor. I really want to try this soon. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week end and come back soon!
Miz Helen

Shanon Hilton said...

Thanks Miz Helen! Please let me know how you like it!

Deanna said...

That sounds amazing. I've yet to come up with a grain-free crust that I totally love, so this one is definitely going on my list.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Quick question...do you grind the seeds with the shells on them? Oh I will be using a glass pie pan do i need to grease it 1st?

Shanon Hilton said...

Grind pumpkin seeds with shells removed!

Shanon Hilton said...

I don't think I've ever greased my pie plate! So, no, you don't have to, but you can if you want. --S