Saturday, October 29, 2011

Recipe: Grandma's Borscht

I live in a community with a high percentage of Ukrainians and beet borscht is their staple soup. I figured it was time I learned to make it. I never liked borscht growing up as a child. It wasn't until I tried my Mother-in-law's borscht that I became a convert. This recipe is based off of hers. Although, when I asked for it, it came more as a list of ingredients than a list of measurements. She's not necessarily a slave to exact amounts, but instead uses what she has on hand - something I definitely admire. Oddly enough, despite the varying ingredients and proportions that go into her soup, it always tastes the same to me - it always tastes perfect.


Borscht (makes one BIG pot)
8 cups vegetable stock or bone broth**
1 1/2 cups onions, chopped
2 large cloves garlic, minced
3 stalks celery, chopped
3-4 large carrots, grated
2 cups cabbage, shredded or cut fine
3 cups tomatoes (I use a combination of fresh or stewed, juice included)
3 cups beets, grated or cubed
Sea salt & Cracked pepper to taste
Splash lemon juice

**Bone Broth
2 ham hocks or chicken broth pack (neck, back & feet)
8 cups water
1 Tblsp apple cider vinegar
1 onion, roughly chopped
3 carrots, roughly chopped
a handful of parsnip ends
a pinch of dried celery leaf, parsley & lovage (optional)

In a large stock pot, place stock ingredients together and bring to a boil. Simmer until about 2 hours prior to wanting to eat your borscht - the longer the better. In a large frying pan, sauté onions, garlic, celery and carrots for 10-15 minutes or until soft. Strain your broth and return to the stock pot, adding sautéed ingredients, as well as cabbage and beets. Bring to a boil again and reduce to a simmer until beet cubes are tender. Add salt, pepper and a splash of lemon to taste. Enjoy!

Linked to Wellness Weekend, Preparedness Challenge, Sugar-free Sunday, Monday Mania, Barn Hop, Mouthwatering Monday, Real Food Link Love, Fat Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Real Food Wednesday, WFMW, Gluten-free Wednesdays, Health2Day, Full Plate Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Fight Back Friday, Fresh Bites Friday, Living Well, Freaky Friday, Allergy-Free Friday, Allergy-Friendly Friday, Sunday Soup Night.

12 comments:

thehealthybeehive said...

My mother in law just gave me her recipe for Borscht that I have been wanting to try. It was the same, not really a typical recipe, more a list of ingredients. :) I have a bunch of beets from the garden that I need to use up! Thanks for sharing, I will refer back to this when I get around to making my borscht!

Shanon Hilton said...

Borscht is the best for using up end of garden produce! Such a good fall soup!. :)

erin said...

hey! I am so glad for your gramma's beet borsht recipe! I still haven't tried making it, but I will try yer recipe. Here's my blog post for MY gramma's cabbage borsht:
http://tadpoletalk.blogspot.com/2011/09/grandmas-borsht-recipe.html

tis funny, almost the same post name!

Shanon Hilton said...

Hey Erin, Those Grandma's - they have the *best* soup recipes it seems! I will check your recipe out! --S

realfoodforager said...

Thanks for linking your great post to FAT TUESDAY. This was very interesting! Hope to see you next week!

Be sure to visit RealFoodForager.com on Sunday for Sunday Snippets – your post from Fat Tuesday may be featured there!

http://realfoodforager.com/2011/10/fat-tuesday-november-1-2011/
If you have grain-free recipes please visit my Grain-Free Linky Carnival in support of my 28 day grain-free challenge! It will be open until November 2.

http://realfoodforager.com/2011/10/grain-free-real-food-linky-carnival/

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

This is awesome!Great blog and lovely recipe! Thanks for sharing.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

beyond the peel said...

Perfect Timing! I have a bunch of beets that I've been meaning to get around to. I love beet soup but have yet to try making borscht. But this is the one I will try. Bookmarked!

Shanon Hilton said...

Hi beyond the peel. I'm so glad you're going to try it. I'd love to hear how it goes for you. :) --S

easynaturalfood said...

I've always wanted to try making borscht (but first I have to learn to spell it :)

I'm hosting a weekly blog carnival specifically for soups, stocks and chowders, every Sunday. I would love it if you would come over and post this recipe. Here's a link with more info.

http://easynaturalfood.com/2011/10/17/introducing-sunday-night-soup-night/

I hope to see you there!
Debbie

Miz Helen said...

I just love your Borscht recipe. I have made it before and we really enjoy it. I have never used tomatoes, so I will have to try your recipe. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon.
Miz Helen

Jo's Health Corner/www.naturallysports.com said...

Your grandmother's Borscht looks so delicious. I have actually never made it myself even though my grandmother traveled to Russia quite often and made borscht too. I enjoy eating it though and I think I will use this recipe when I make it.
Thanks for linking up to Living Well Blog Hop.

easynaturalfood said...

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe with Sunday Night Soup Night. I'll be hosting weekly through fall and winter, so I'd love to see you again with your next soup/stock/chowder recipe!