Saturday, October 1, 2011

Recipe: Cauliflower 'Rice'

This is one of those recipes that I should have tried sooner. With no grains and minimal starch at meal times, I often feel like the dinner plate is missing something. When I made cauliflower rice as a side dish for the first time, I felt that the meal looked complete again - or at least closer to what I'm used to seeing. It looked delicious - it was delicious! This recipe has become a new staple in our house. Here is our version:


Cauliflower 'Rice' (serves 4-6)
1 head cauliflower, grated
2 small onions, diced
2-4 cloves garlic, minced
Coconut oil
Sea salt & cracked pepper

Preheat the coconut oil in a griddle on medium-low heat. Add the diced onions and minced garlic, stirring frequently. Add the grated cauliflower, salt & pepper. Cover, but stir frequently. Cook approximately 10 minutes or until softened. Serve and see if anyone notices that it's not rice.

Linked to Real Food Wednesday, Health2Day, Gluten-free Wednesday, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter Thursday, Fresh Bites Friday, Living Well, Freaky Friday, Allergy Friendly Friday, Fight Back Friday, Allergy-Free Friday, Wellness Weekend.

9 comments:

Sheena Cucina said...

Hi Shanon, I just discovered your blog and I'm already a HUGE fan! It sounds like we have a few things in common like multiple allergies and an interest in eating home-grown, organic food! I'm so inspired by your winter food storage - that's an aim I have for next year. This cauliflower recipe looks great, I can't wait to try it out! Thanks for blogging :)

Allison at Novice Life said...

YUM this sounds delicious.

Shanon Hilton said...

Hi Sheena, It seems we do! Just popped by your blog. Your beet recipe looks wondeful! I'm glad to hear you're interested in food storage too! It was a lot of work, but well worth it! I'm so glad you popped by! --S

Thanks Allison.

suzyhomemaker said...

This looks like a good recipe, and easy. I do have one question though. Do you just grade the cauliflower with a cheese grater? And do you use the standard size or the mini size? Or does it even matter?

Thanks, can't wait to try it.

Shanon Hilton said...

Yes, I use a cheese grater (standard size). Or you could use a food processor if you have one. Let me know how you like it! --Shanon

Vicky said...

I love cauliflower rice!

Rita & Mom said...

That cauliflower rice is something I need to try - it sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing it at D,D, & D!

The Humbled Homemaker said...

Congrats for being featured in today's Healthy 2Days Wednesday link-up! I am guest hosting the hop today for Rachel, and she let me choose the top 3 posts! Thanks for entering, and I hope you will visit and link up today! :)

Shanon Hilton said...

Thank you for featuring me! I really appreciate it!