Saturday, October 15, 2011

Recipe: Buttercup Squash Breakfast Pudding

The first year is always the hardest when committing to a different way of eating. There is no repertoire of recipes already established, and each new season brings with it the challenge of cooking with what's on hand. Old favorites have to be modified and new favorites created.

With the cooler fall mornings, I've been missing warm, comforting breakfasts like oatmeal and rice puddings. This pudding was inspired by one of my favorite breakfast recipes from the cookbook, Rebar. My son cheerfully gobbled it up the first go around and promptly asked for seconds, immediately making it a new breakfast standby for us. This pudding is perfect for a lazy weekend morning breakfast. Enjoy!


Note: Preparing the squash does take a bit of time, so I would recommend roasting the squash the night before to cut down on the cooking time in the morning. I used buttercup squash because we grew it this year. Experiment with other winter squash if you don't have buttercup.

Buttercup Squash Breakfast Pudding (Serves ~4)
3 cups roasted buttercup squash (1 medium sized squash)
1-398 ml can full fat coconut milk (we use Native Forest)
1 inch of fresh ginger, peeled (thumb sized)
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 cup honey
1/4 tsp cardamon
grated cinnamon (for garnish)

Preheat the oven to 350°. Wash and cut squash in half. Place in a shallow baking dish with a splash of water and roast for 40-45 minutes or until cooked through (a fork will pierce the flesh easily). Refrigerate overnight or until cool enough to handle.

Scoop out the flesh and place in a medium sized pot. Add coconut milk, cardamon, ginger, and cinnamon stick. On medium-low heat, simmer the squash for ~30 minutes or until reduced and thick. Remove the cinnamon stick and ginger. Using an immersion blender, pureƩ until smooth. Remove from heat and add honey, mixing until blended.

Serve topped with sprinkled cinnamon and banana slices or whatever other fruit you have on hand!

Linked to Wellness Weekend, Sugar-free Sunday, Monday Mania, Barn Hop, Mangia Monday, Fat Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Real Food Wednesday, WFMW, Gluten-free Wednesday, Health2Day Wednesday, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter, Full Plate Thursday, Fresh Bites Friday, Gallery of Favorites, Living Well, Freaky Friday, Allergy-Free Friday, Allergy-Friendly Friday, Fight-Back Friday.

11 comments:

ella@lifeologia said...

this sounds very interesting - I like these combinations of ingredients and spices. hmmm I think I'm tempted to give it a try ;)
xo

Shanon Hilton said...

I hope you do - let me know what you think! --Shanon

realfoodforager said...

Thanks for linking your great post to FAT TUESDAY. This was very interesting! Hope to see you next week!

Be sure to visit RealFoodForager.com on Sunday for Sunday Snippets – your post from Fat Tuesday may be featured there!

http://realfoodforager.com/2011/10/fat-tuesday-october-18-2011/

If you have grain-free recipes please visit my Grain-Free Linky Carnival in support of my 28 day grain-free challenge! It will be open until November 2.

http://realfoodforager.com/2011/10/grain-free-real-food-linky-carnival/

Jo's Health Corner/www.naturallysports.com said...

This looks so delicious! My children will love this dish. It is challenging sometimes to come up with grain free breakfast dishes. Thanks for sharing on the Living Well blog hop.

Tessa said...

I like the idea here, it is very similar to one I just did, so youhvae given me some new ideas to try and tweak my recipe too! I grew loads of buttercup sqaush this year too...yum!! Thanks for sharing!

Tessa@tessadomesticdiva.blogspot.com

Shanon Hilton said...

We eat a lot of squash for breakfast. I like your idea with the pumpkin Tessa. Canned pumpkin in the morning would definitely make it a faster breakfast!

Jo: I hope your kids try the recipe and let me know how it goes over!

Real Food Forager: Thanks for the linkup information. I will definitely check it out!

Miz Helen said...

What a great recipe to use my Butternut puree. I can't wait to try this recipe. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week end and come back soon!
Miz Helen

Linda said...

I never thought of eating squash for breakfast, but it's a great idea. I've also never tried buttercup squash, but I'm sure like you said that this would work with other squashes too. Thanks for sharing it at Gluten-Free Wednesdays.

The 21st Century Housewife© said...

What a wonderful, seasonal breakfast - and it looks just beautiful! Thank you for sharing this post with the Gallery of Favorites.

Heather Collins said...

This sounds wonderful, I am going to try it!

Rebecca said...

What a wonderful idea! And a great way to get veggies in first thing in the morning! Can't wait to try this!