Thursday, October 20, 2011

Around the Yard: A Chard Confession

I have a confession to make. This was my first year growing chard. It wasn't long ago that I tasted chard for the first time. Having not grown up with it, I had no idea how it grew. Long story short, I planted a lot. I don't think I even know the exact number of plants that were growing in my front yard. My thinking was that I might get one to two harvests from it, something like spinach.


For those of you who have grown chard, feel free to laugh at me now. Chard is one of those wonderful plants that gifts you perpetual leaves to eat - all season. I planted enough to start a small side business in it.

I gave up on trying to keep up with our chard early July.

Not long ago - September maybe - an elderly neighbour came knocking on our door, asking how much I would sell my chard out front for. Nothing, take it, please! I handed him extra grocery bags to fill. Before he left, he asked, "Why did you plant so much chard?" I'm sure I turned at least one of the colors to be found in that rainbow chard.


What a laugh. That's the wonderful thing about gardening, isn't it? There is always something new to learn, from knowing to plant much less chard next year to seeing how the food sharing wheel keeps turning. If you live near me, I still have chard available, so feel free to pop on by.

Linked to Simple Lives Thursday, Harvest Monday, Barn Hop, Bloomin' Tuesday, Garden Tuesday, WFMW, Outdoor Wednesday.

17 comments:

Abby said...

I'd happily take some off your hands! Pretty colors, I've only ever seen the red kind.

Shanon Hilton said...

Hi Abby! Too bad you're not closer, I'd happily give you some!

Sheena Cucina said...

I did something similar with kale, not realizing that you can continuously harvest from the plants. Our household rose to the occasion and ate a crazy amount of kale chips and kale curry. Funny enough, my chard didn't even grow!

City Sister said...

I love chard...I only had 6 plants this year and it wasn't enough!

Carol J. Alexander said...

Visiting from the barn hop. We LOVE chard. Just cut the last of spring's planting this morning to put in the freezer. However, I planted two more plants in my fall garden that I'm just harvesting from. Put it on pizza. It's fantastic.

Dave said...

Chard is the gift that keeps on giving isn't it? Oh well, at least it's not a bad problem to have!

GrafixMuse said...

I grew chard last year for the first time. Four plants provided us with a lot of chard all season long. It is such a pretty plant that it could be planted as an ornamental.

Shanon Hilton said...

Dave: Yes, not enough chard would definitely be a worse problem than too much!

GrafixMuse: I think we'll try four plants next year. We definitely had enough in our front yard for it too look decorative. We had a lot of walking traffic comment on it. :)

Howard the Plumber said...

We planted four chard plants this season and we're still harvesting bounteously. I didn't weigh the total take from them but it must have been over 25 lbs.

My my, oh me oh my, how we like chard.

hundredsofideas said...

Have never grown chard, it sure is pretty!

Pam said...

I had no idea chard was easy to grow! I might have to give it a try. Thanks for linking up to Garden Tuesday!

Kathryn said...

Teeheehee! I planted a lot myself and I would like to ask you how you use it?? I had never eaten it before so we used the leaves in our salad and the stems like celery with peanut butter. The kids didn't like it too much like that...so do you have some suggestions?

Shanon Hilton said...

Hi Kathryn,

I love your idea! I'll have to try that with sunbutter some time.

Usually, we sauté it up with garlic and onions, sometimes we add dill. Often, I chop it up really fine and just stick into whatever I'm cooking: sauce, soup, meatloaf, burgers. Not too much to overwhelm, but just to get it in there. Since my two year old still gags on leafy things, I find this is the best way to feed it to him. :)

lilsuburbanhomestead said...

Your chard is truly beautiful! It grows easily here but not as colorful!

lilsuburbanhomestead said...

Your chard is truly beautiful! It grows easily here but not as colorful!

erin said...

hehe! I am hoping you have a juicer! I've been juicing my chard waiting for it to be finished for the season, but it's still going strong! almost November in the canadian prairies...
is that 5 color silverbeet? I planted that! its pretty.

Shanon Hilton said...

Hey Erin, I know, what a fall we've been having! Yes, the picture is of rainbow chard (aka 5 color silverbeet)! Yes, we have a juicer - thank you for the reminder to use it for chard! -S