Saturday, September 17, 2011

Recipe: Potato-Leek Soup

I know I've written about the questionable health benefits of potatoes here and I know they are not GAPS, SCD or Paleo-approved, but fall is not complete for me without this simple comfort soup. It is the primary reason that I grow both leeks and potatoes in our garden.

I have been considering the potential merit of fermenting potatoes in a culture for a few days to help break down the starch in order to make them more digestible, as they do here. However, being the type that usually plans meals the day of, I've yet to attempt fermenting potatoes as it would require organization and advanced planning on my part. Either way, I encourage you to make this soup - we've been making and tweaking the ingredient proportions for years and I think it's just about perfect!


Potato-Leek Soup (makes a lot)
4 cups chopped onion
5 cups chopped red potatoes
6 cups leeks
6 cups chicken broth, full fat (or enough to cover all ingredients)
Lard or coconut oil
Sea salt
Cracked pepper

Melt lard in a large stock pot. Add onions and leeks, stirring frequently for 5-10 minutes. Add potatoes, broth, cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Use an immersion blender or transfer to a blender in batches to purée. Serve hot.

Variations: Add crispy bacon or use as a base for dishes like chicken pot pie.

Linked to Living Well, Savory Sunday, Sugar-Free Sunday, Monday Mania, Hunk of Meat Monday, Mangia Mondays, A Southern Fairytale, Weekend Gourmet, Real Food Wednesday, WFMW, Health2Day,

2 comments:

Raj @ Flip Cookbook said...

It's hard for me to stay away from potatoes too. Especially when the season is starting to change and there is a crisp chill in the air. Thanks for sharing this hearty soup at this week's Sugar Free Sunday!

Rachel said...

I also love potatoes! Look forward to reading if you ever try fermenting them! This looks like a wonderful & simple recipe to make! Thank you for linking up at Healthy 2day Wednesdays! Sorry I have been out of the loop for a bit, we have moved houses! Hope you'll join in this week!