Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Recipe: Flax Eggs

I discovered this recipe during my early vegan days and I relied on it a lot in baked goods. When we added meat and eggs back into our diet, I thought I had said good-bye to this recipe for good. But, here we are, dusting this recipe off again due to my son's egg allergies and I'm so thankful to have previous knowledge of it. This recipe comes from the cookbook Rebar, but you can find variations for flax egg recipes all over the web.


Flax Eggs (yields ~1 cup)
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
3/4 cup + 2 Tblsp water

Place the ground flax seeds in a food processor with water and blend until the mixture congeals to the consistency of eggs - about 2-4 minutes. Using an immersion blender with the ingredients in a jar also works quite well to achieve the above. Substitute one quarter cup of flax eggs for two eggs. Store in the refrigerator for approximately one week.

3 comments:

newmanclan3 said...

The only flax seeds I have been able to find are processed in factories that have nuts. Could you please recommend safe flax seeds from a dedicated facility? I have been wanting to experiment with them due to my daughter's multiple allergies. We have been using egg replacer and applesauce in our recipes, but they don't always work. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Shanon Hilton said...

Sorry for the delay in responding! Now Foods is the only company that I know of without cross contamination of wheat, dairy, nuts, soy or oils:

http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Flax-Organic-Non-GE-Ounces/dp/B0009RELKO/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1320521466&sr=8-12

Best of luck! --Shanon

Shanon Hilton said...

I *just* received confirmation directly from Now Foods that their flax is contamination free.

Here is an excerpt from their email (I'd be happy to forward it to you directly if you'd like to email me):

"... our GMP certification and extensive cleaning of the machines between runs prevents potential cross contamination with other allergens including flax, corn, gluten, dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, and other allergens. Our testing indicates our products to be free of cross contamination. We are GMP certified and need to carefully handle our products, filter the air, and breakdown and clean packaging machines between runs. See our website for more info under a search for GMP."

And here is an article link they sent me:

http://www.nowfoods.com/Quality/QualityNotes/M103314.htm?cat=NOW%20News

Hope this is helpful!
--S