Friday, August 5, 2011

Recipe: Saskatoon Berry Fudge

This recipe inspiration comes from Emily over at Recipes to Nourish - one of my new favorite food blogs. Her recipes are amazing and I highly recommend you check them out. I put my own seasonal and local twist on this recipe with the use of Saskatoon berries - a sweet, dark purple berry that grows wild around these parts. Saskatoons are amazingly high in antioxidants - ranking highest among other common fruits - and they taste delicious. We've been picking them as fast as we can this week as their season is almost over!


If you're not able to find Saskatoons where you live, experiment with other berries - like blueberries, raspberries or blackberries - or try Emily's recipe with Elderberry syrup. Either way, I'm sure you'll find this fudge completely addicting!

Saskatoon Berry Fudge (makes ~12-15 squares)

1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup creamed honey
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup Saskatoon berries

In a small saucepan on low heat, gently cook the Saskatoon berries with a splash of water until they are soft and tender. Remove from heat and allow to cool. In a food processor, blend coconut oil and honey until creamed together. Add vanilla, cocoa and berries, processing until smooth. Pour the fudge onto plastic wrap placed on top of a cookie sheet.

Gently wrap it up so that it forms a loose rectangle approximately 1/2-3/4" thick. Place it in the freezer for four hours or longer. Mine solidified nicely in under two hours. Unwrap, cut into squares and try to save some for the other members in your family. Store the leftovers - if there are any - in the fridge to maintain its firmness!

Linked to Seasonal Sunday, Sugar-free Sunday, Bacon Time, Weekend Gourmet Carnival, Barn Hop, Monday Mania, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Traditional Tuesday, Tea Party Tuesday, Waltz on By Wednesday, WFMW, Real Food Wednesday,WLW, Pennywise Platter Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Sweet Shot Tuesday, Full Plate Thursday, Fight Back Friday, Fridays Unfolded, Foodie Friday, Allergy Friendly Friday.

11 comments:

Mindie Hilton said...

Thanks for linking to bacon time. your fudge looks great, never had berry flavored either.

I tried something different this week and ran my ongoing give away linky under the any linky goes party to try and get more exposure for folks give aways. You accidently linked to it, so I will have to delete it, but please link back up if you have the time. Thanks again.

Laura said...

I love making fudge and usually use all of the ingredients you listed (but I haven't tried berries). My favorite is adding natural peanut butter. I have to be careful I don't eat it all within a couple of days! I am going to try it with berries next time, that sounds delicious!

Birds, Bees, Berries, and Blooms said...

I'm picking service (saskatoon) berries like crazy. I cannot wait to try this! Thanks for sharing.

Raj @ Flip Cookbook said...

Oh wow - that looks delicious and actually easy to make. I'm so looking forward to trying this. Thanks for sharing at this week's Sugar Free Sunday!

Shanon Hilton said...

Yes, it is completely easy to make and fast - except for the freezing time!

Aiming4Simple said...

My mom grew up eating Saskatoon berries, but I've never tried them. Are they between cranberry and blueberry in flavor? Just guessing.

We don't have these berries down in Nebraska, so I'll try substituting something else. Looks like a delicious recipe!

Sarah said...

I made this today with raspberries. It was amazing! Thank you for the recipe.

Shanon Hilton said...

Hi Sarah, I'm so happy that it turned out for you. This has quickly become my favorite recipe. I recently made it with cherries and I think it was even better than the Saskatoon berry version! --S

luckybunny said...

That fudge looks wonderful, I'm drooling over here. I can just imagine how good it is made with saskatoon berries! What a great idea.

Kicka said...

These look AMAZING. I am salivating just from reading the recipe!

Pieces of Sunshine said...

Looks delicious.