Thursday, August 11, 2011

Around the Yard: A Shift

There has been a slight shift in the weather (have you noticed?) and it is a welcome change from the heat of July. The mornings are cooler, the flies are trying to get inside and I have spotted the odd leaf turning yellow - all signs that summer is beginning its slow wind down. Everything in the garden is reaching maturity now, and we're enjoying the bounty it has to offer: cucumbers, new potatoes, fresh peas, beans, tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic and loads of squash.

Growing enough food for one's family is hard work, and I'm pretty sure that I didn't even grow enough to keep us through the winter! I often wonder how women a century ago managed with the added labour of hauling firewood and water, manual heating and clothes washing, and no refrigeration or air conditioner. They must have been incredibly capable! When ever I think of them, I feel grateful that blanching can wait another day because our fridge will keep things fresh until I can get to it!

Here is how our garden is growing this week (you can check out last week here):

 Wild borage that showed up in my carrot patch.

 Rows and rows of parsnips.

 Brussell sprouts that may not make it, thanks to the 
cabbage moth and her hungry little offspring.

 Shell peas called 'Provider'. Don't mind the weeds - I've given up on them.

 Three varieties of summer squash.

Our garlic harvest!
 Those little white lumps are nitrogen fixing nodules on the 
roots of the snow pea that I pulled up. Pretty neat!

 Bell peppers are just beginning.

Sweet romeo cherries - not from our garden - but from a local u-pick.
We have these planted in our yard, but they will not likely produce much
for several more years. I can't wait for that!

 My gardening sidekick, whose idea of gardening 
is digging in my raised beds with his tractors!

How are things in your garden this week?

16 comments:

Andrea said...

Your sidekick is so cute, i wonder why all kids are cute when their faces are dirty! Are summer squash different from zucchini, to me they look the same. I have seen the fruits but not the plants.

Shanon Hilton said...

Zucchini is just another name for summer squash! Yes, it's hard to resist a child covered in dirt - I totally agree!

Abby said...

I would love your garlic harvest! yum.

lilsuburbanhomestead said...

Your garlic looks fantastic! I had to buy mine at Costco yesterday it just doesn't grow all that well at the beach....

Amy @ Homestead Revival said...

My garden was far from spectacular this summer as well, but looks like you did pretty well! Just think of all that you've learned and what it would be like if this was a true "survival" situation. Aren't you glad you're working on it now while there's wiggle room?!

(I"m very thankful for refrigeration/freezer space as well - saves my bacon! LOL, just realize that's a pun!)

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

Wow your garden looks spectacular. Ours ended early due to unexpected hospital stay for the hubby and us being in Dallas away from it all-- once we returned home-- the grasshoppers had all but devoured our garden.
I hoping for a fall garden if the heat lets up.. it was cool this morning after the rain.

Brussel sprouts would be great to grow, I bet.
You've done a wonderful job in the garden!
Pat

Shanon Hilton said...

Hi Amy, Yes, definitely! Now is the time to learn and make mistakes!

A friend just told me her children - in their attempts to herd the cows away from the garden - caused them to stampede right through! They lost over 100 tomato plants and pretty much everything else!

Good thing they don't need to rely on that harvest to feed them through the winter like they would have 100 years ago!

Shaye @ The Elliott Homestead said...

I think we are so blessed to get to learn to garden in a time where we will not starve in the process. Truly, it's the best of both worlds. Although we are also eager to save enough for winter, it is a blessing that we won't die tryin'.

Allison at Novice Life said...

I am with you! I have given up on the weeds and am trying to just learn to love them!

Your garlic looks great!

Beth said...

I'm intrigued by your dream to grow all of your own food. I read your food inventory and wondered, what do you do with frozen chard?

Shanon Hilton said...

Thanks Allison.

Beth, I think the chard will end up in a lot of sauces. But, I'm not entirely sure - this is my first year freezing it!

Wearinbeads said...

I am freezing a few green beans. Your garden is way bigger than mine, and I love your tidy rows.

Pam said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is declaring surrender with the weeds! Thanks for linking up!

Jean said...

i've given up on weeds in my flower gardens this year too1 The tiny tomatoes are such a lovely color. Jean

Corinnea said...

Weeds and all your garden is gorgeous and your helper is a cutie!

Pieces of Sunshine said...

Wonderful to visit and see how much you had growing. I share many of your ideals but can only live out a very few of them for now.