Saturday, July 9, 2011

Recipe: Strawberry-Rhubarb Cobbler

I debated whether or not to post this recipe, since we just discovered that our son seems to be reacting to eggs and nuts. However, if you can eat both, this is a wonderful grain-free, sugar-free cobbler recipe that meets the SCD, GAPS, Paleo diet guidelines. It is also perfect if you have loads of rhubarb and fresh strawberries coming from your garden. The topping is based on the 'Classic Drop Biscuit' recipe out of Elana Amsterdam's, The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook.


Strawberry-Rhubarb Cobbler
2-3 cups strawberries, diced
2-3 cups rhubarb, diced
1/3 cup honey (or more, depending on your desired level of sweetness)

Topping
2 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 coconut oil, melted
1/4 honey
2 large eggs
1 tsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed

Preheat oven to 350°. Place the desired amount of fruit in a sauce pan with a splash of water on medium-low heat. Stir frequently until fruit becomes soft. Remove from heat and add honey, stirring until dissolved. Pour fruit mixture into pie plate.

In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, salt and baking soda. In a medium bowl, whisk together the melted coconut oil, honey, eggs and lemon juice. Stir the wet ingredients into the almond flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Drop the batter on top of the fruit by tablespoons. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown or a toothpick inserted into a biscuit comes out clean!

Linked to Bacon Time, Seasonal Sunday, Sugar Free Sunday, Weekend Gourmet Carnival, Monday Mania, Barn Hop, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Mouthwatering Monday, Meatless Monday, My Meatless Monday, MMMM, Mangia Mondays, Homemaker Mondays, Traditional Tuesdays, Hearth & Soul, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Tea Party Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Made from Scratch, Tuesday Night Supper Club, Made it on Monday, Real Food Wednesday, WFMW, GF Wednesday, What's Cooking Wednesday, Foodie Wednesday, Whisking Wednesdays, What's on Your Plate, Healthy 2Day, Cast Part Wednesday, Recipes I Can't Wait to Try, Simple Lives Thursday, Real Food Weekly, Frugal Food Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, It's a Keeper, Ultimate Recipe Swap, Pennywise Platter, Fight Back Friday, Fridays Unfolded, Food Trip Friday, Fun with Food, Fat Camp Friday, Foodie Friday, Friday Favorites, Friday Potluck, Foodie Friday.

25 comments:

Mrs. Ed said...

This sounds delicious. I love your site too, I'll have to look around.

Raj @ Flip Cookbook said...

Perfect timing! I went to a restaurant last night and was craving their strawberry rhubarb.. Of course I didn't have it because not only was it not GF but it wasn't SF.

Quick question - I've never cooked with Rhubarb - is the frozen just as good as the fresh?

Thanks for sharing at this week's Sugar Free Sunday potluck!

Shanon Hilton said...

Since it's cooked anyway, I don't know that you can really tell the difference between fresh and frozen in this case. Let me know how it goes! :)

Kristin said...

Oh my, this looks delicious! I wish they sold rhubarb out here because I would make this for dessert tonight.
Thanks for sharing the recipe,
Holy Cannoli Recipes

Em and Lib said...

YUM! I've been looking (though not too hard) for a GF crisp recipe. I've got blueberries so will modify sweetener.
Thanks!
LIb
http://bit.ly/rmTiS3

shopannies said...

what a divine dessert to have a spot of tea with come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

Trish - Sweetology101 said...

you are really talented and inspiring to me. I love it when you link up. THanks for sharing with us today at Tea Party Tuesday.

Sunshine And Smile said...

Great flavor combination for the cobbler..looking lovely :) Thanks for sharing it with hearth and soup hop
www.sunshineandsmile.com

Jen said...

Sounds delicious! That's one of my favorite flavor combinations! Thanks for linking up with Made From Scratch Tuesday!

Lark (SparkyLarky) said...

Two of my favorite summer time flavors! This looks DIVINE!

Thanks for linking up!

Katie Riddle said...

This looks great! I was just about to try and create this very dish; I'm glad you already did! :)

Desi said...

I have yet to try rhubarb. But I'm seeing it all over the blogosphere... looks like I need to make some! I wanted to invite you over to my cookbook giveaway that is going on right now until July 16th. Stop on by to enter! Hope you are having a great week :)

http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-first-giveaway.html

Miranda said...

Believe it or not, I have yet to try strawberry rhubarb pie or rhubarb anything for that matter! Thanks for sharing with Fat Camp Friday. See you next week! http://bit.ly/npf0ml

KB said...

Looks delish.

We'd love you to share your recipes with us at
Simply Delish Saturday

Miz Helen said...

What a great cobbler, I just love this combination of fruit and flavor. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week. Have a great week end!
Miz Helen

Melynda said...

You had me at rhubarb! Thanks for linking at the Hearth n Soul!

girlichef said...

This sounds lovely =) I love the almond flour in the topping!

Bizzy B. Bakes said...

I love cobblers. I am not a big crust fan so cobblers work for me.

I would love if you would link this at Bake with Bizzy. Thanks.

http://bizzybakesb.blogspot.com/2011/07/baking-with-bizzy-9-partial.html

Rachel said...

Sorry about your son, hopefully you'll find it isn't eggs & nuts! This recipe looks divine! Thanks for sharing this and your other post at Healhty 2day Wednesdays!

Cheerful said...

sounds really delicious as always, thanks for sharing your recipe! visiting from FTF, have a great week. :)

sheryl said...

Thank you for sharing your recipe with me at Cast Party Wednesday. I hope you will come back tomorrow and share more of your recipes.
Thanks,
I hope to see you there!

Ms Bibi said...

It looks so delicious....thank you some much for sharing it at Foodie Wednesday.

Hope you can come again this week and link up another yummy recipe.

ryobious said...

Just wanted to thank you for linking up on Whisking Wednesdays and hope you'll come back and link up another recipe or two this week!

http://pinchofthisthatandtheother.blogspot.com/2011/07/whisking-wednesdays-12.html

Stuff and Nonsense said...

just a note to tell you that i am featuring your recipe today on fridays unfolded...i hope you have a wonderful weekend!

alison

Christy said...

i am hooked on the strawberry-rhubarb combination. we have both in our garden and i never tire of it! thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe with tuesday night supper club!