Saturday, July 23, 2011

Recipe: Collards 'n' Bacon

Ah, collards... My almost favorite vegetable. We do not get collards in the grocery stores here, and so the only time I get to eat them is in the summer when we grow them ourselves. This recipe is my favorite way to eat collards and the inspiration comes from Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free. My husband tells me that anything served with bacon tastes good, but there is just something about collards that I love. And, it's not just the fact that they are an extremely good source of calcium either.


Collards 'n' Bacon
1+ cup nitrate, preservative free bacon, pre-cooked and chopped
3-4 cups collards, washed and chopped
1 medium onion, diced
1-2 cups water or chicken stock, depending on what you have on hand
coconut oil or left over bacon fat
pepper to taste

Pre-heat saucepan over medium low heat. Using the leftover bacon fat, sauté the onions until slightly translucent. The trick to chopping collards is to stack the leaves, roll them up and then slice the roll thinly.


Add collars, half of the water and cover, stirring occasionally. Keep adding water as it evaporates and until the greens are sufficiently wilted and cooked through - about 20-30 minutes (sometimes its less depending on how hungry and impatient I'm feeling). Add the bacon pieces and cook together for a few more minutes. Serve immediately.

Note: I always mean to keep the leftovers for the next day, but I end up eating them as I'm cleaning up the kitchen. They are just that good!

Linked to Bacon Time, Savory Sunday, Sugar-free Sunday, Seasonal Sunday, Monday Mania, Weekend Gourmet Carnival, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Mangia Monday, Homemaker Monday, Hunk of Meat Monday, Barn Hop, Mouthwatering Monday, Tasty Tuesday, Delectable Tuesdays, Traditional Tuesdays, Hearth & Soul, Tasty Tuesday, Made from Scratch Tuesday,
 Cast Party Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Gluten Free Wednesday, What's Cooking Wednesday, Foodie Wednesday,  Recipes I Can't Wait to Try, Pennywise Platter, Real Food Weekly, Frugal Food Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, It's a Keeper Thrudsay, Ultimate Recipe Swap,    

14 comments:

Ubermom said...

Bacon makes everything better! I have to make some greens and bacon tonight! Came over from Weekend Gourmet!

Meagan said...

I've done this before, IT'S SO GOOD

SJerZGirl said...

I'll take collards any day over spinach!! I ordered them whenever I can if they're on a menu!

shopannies said...

comfort food for sure

OhioMomPatriot said...

This is the way I got my DD to try collards when she was little. Now at 19 this is still the only way she will eat them. Thanks for sharing!

Raj @ Flip Cookbook said...

I love collard greens too. Luckily I get them pretty much through out the year but summer really is when the best ones come out. Thanks for sharing at this week's Sugar Free Sunday!

adventuresindinner said...

I think that I could eat this dish everyday. We just got our latest pork delivery from our local farmer and I know what to invest some of my bacon in now.

Great blog-happy new follower, hope that you find the time to follow back.

Mary said...

Looks tasty! Great recipe :)

KB said...

Looks delish.

We'd love you to share your recipes with us at
Simply Delish Saturday

Melynda said...

What a delicious way to get your "greens", thanks for sharing with the Hearth n Soul hop.

Sherri@FoodBasics101.com said...

Hello Shana! I found you through At Home With Haley’s Blog Hop. Lovin' your collards n bacon recipe.

Have a great day! Sherri
http://www.FoodBasics101.com
Facebook- http://tinyurl.com/FoodBasics101

Miz Helen said...

We just step out our back door into the garden and have the best fresh collards. Your recipe looks great and we would really enjoy it. There is nothing better than a good pot of Collards. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again real soon. Hope you are having a great week!
Miz Helen

Ms Bibi said...

I don't think we have collards here, but I did try it one time in a local restaurant with Southern flare and didn't like it. I am pretty sure they did not prepare it correctly and if I made it myself using great recipe like this I would love it.

Thank you so much for sharing it at Foodie Wednesday and hope to see you there this week as well.

sheryl said...

Thank You So MUCH for joining me last week for Cast Party Wednesday. I hope you will come back tomorrow and share more of your recipes with us.
Thanks,
I hope to see you there!