Thursday, July 21, 2011

Around the Yard: Things are Blooming

So much is in bloom right now: beans, peas, potatoes, cucumbers, and squash. It is so pretty. The canola fields are also blooming, which means the cabbage moths are out en mass feasting and laying eggs on our brassicas! We had to do an emergency harvest of kale, collards and Chinese cabbage this morning, for on the underside of each leaf we found loads of worm eggs. It took us hours to hand wash each leaf!

While many of our brassicas are under row covers, equally as many are not. Once the worms hatch, leaves can go from perfect to perfectly annihilated in days, stunting any further growth in the plant. Flour mixed with cayenne sprinkled on the leaves is supposed to cause the intestines of the worms to explode and we are using this method as well. But, just in case this fails, we now have bags of kale safely in our freezer.

Here is how our garden is growing this week (you can check out last week here):

Wonderful Russian snow peas.

Our emergency harvest of kale, collards and Chinese cabbage.

Pretty blue lobelia. 

 Raspberries that are almost ready!

Potato plants.

My favorite: chamomile.

How are things in your garden this week?

9 comments:

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Hi, friend! You've got so much creativity here and I'm admiring them all. Can you please share your creative posts at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? Hope to see you there :)

Allison at Novice Life said...

Very nice! Let us know if you think the flour & cayenne worked.

Hanni said...

Emergency harvest, hee hee! Glad you were able to get them all picked before the impending doom. :)

Shanon Hilton said...

Hi Allison, It appears to be working, as long as I'm reapplying whenever we get rain or wind!

Carol said...

Hope the spicey flour works for you! Be sure to let us know.

Barb said...

Blue lobelia is one of my favorite annuals. I always like to have a few pots of it on the porch. This year I found lobelia in hanging planters at a local nursery.

I need to go out and pick my kale, too. I just noticed the harlequin bugs are on the plants - ugh!

Thanks for stopping by A Life in Balance and sharing what's happening in your garden!

Daphne said...

At least you got them picked before the worms took over. I keep all my brassicas under a cover. I'm going to have to put up another row cover when I plant my fall kale. I so hate row covers, but I hate those worms more.

Linda Makiej said...

Really beautiful photos for Outdoor Wednesday!!

Abby said...

Beautiful pictures, I have never seen potato plant flowers before!