Thursday, July 7, 2011

Around the Yard: Pest Management

Our harvest is still predominantly green right now, with a few splashes of red. We've been eating a lot of pak choy, mustard greens, collards, lettuce, chard, and green onions along with radishes, rhubarb, baby beets and finally, strawberries! The beds previously filled with cool weather greens are now being replaced with heat loving peppers, basil and zucchini.

Wild chamomile seems to be keeping the cutworms at bay, flour mixed with cayenne pepper will hopefully protect our brassicas against the cabbage moth and subsequent worms, and diluted hydrogen peroxide is being used to prevent the spread of powdery mildew amongst our squash. Aside from pest management, our time has been spent dealing with weeds. The hot weather seems to have finally arrived, and with it, the growth of all plants!

I had intentions of experimenting with a living mulch this year to help keep the weeds under control, but the Canada Post strike derailed that plan. Since I am still waiting for the seeds to arrive by mail I have instead resorted to asking kind neighbours for their grass clippings to keep the ground mulched. Perhaps there will still be time yet.

Here is how our garden is growing this week (you can check out last week here):

Our very first bowl of perfect strawberries!

 Garlic scapes - I look forward to these every year!

Baby beets thinnings.

Zucchini and marigolds.
 
 Edible nasturtiums in between rainbow chard in our front yard garden.

 One lone cherry tomato that was snatched up by a little 
hand before I could get a proper picture!

 There's that tomato!

24 comments:

Moonstonemama said...

What are you making with your garlic scapes? I got some in my CSA box but the only recipes I can seem to find are for pesto and I'm off dairy and nuts/seeds right now.

Shanon Hilton said...

I was thinking of dicing them up and sauteing them in a stir fry. We have some Chinese cabbage and pak choy ready as well, so I might put something together with ginger and sesame oil. I think you can use garlic scapes in any recipe where you would use garlic though!

You could also try a nut-free pesto: olive oil, greens and garlic scapes. Just add the olive oil slowly to get the right consistency.

Phoebe @ GettingFreedom said...

I'd never heard of wild chamomile helping derail cutworms.

Your garden seems to be doing great! Thanks for linking up to Frugal Gardening!

Allison at Novice Life said...

Wow -thanks for all your great tips. I defintely need to try the cayenne and flour for my poor cabages!

Hanni said...

Lovely! I couldn't get any nasturtiums to germinate for me...crum. We've been enjoying garlic scapes in any recipe that calls for garlic. They are also yummy just sauteed by themselves.

Bee Girl said...

Nice harvest! Your strawberries lokk absolutely delicious!!! Thanks for the great tips, too! Always looking for new ideas :-)

Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen said...

What a nice garden. I've never seen garlic scapes and sad to admit I don't know what they are.

Happy Gardening Tuesday.
Sam

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

The beet thinnings look great, bet they're very tasty-enjoy:@)

Cindy@OldTimePickers said...

New to your delightful blog and had to follow. Always enjoy new gardening tips!

Daphne said...

Beautiful strawberries. I'm dreaming of the day I can pick enough to make jam from mine, but for now it is one or two at a time.

Jean said...

The fruits of your labor are looking wonderful. Jean

Corinnea said...

What a beautiful garden!

Melynda said...

Very nice, how do you use the nasturtiums?

Pam said...

Thanks for linking up!!! How much do you dilute the hydrogen peroxide by? I have some powdery mildew on my phlox and I wonder if it would help with that.

Jeanne said...

Good for you. We should all follow your goal of fresh food organically grown. I bet we would be lots healthier. This is the first time I have heard of garlic scapes. Sounds good! The beets are my fave. In fact I just had fresh beets for supper. Love that good food from the garden.
Hugs, Jeanne

Mrs.Rabe said...

We used nasturtiums for pest control last year with our tomatoes! And put them in salad! :)

Thanks for the tip about the peroxide for powdery mildew! I will try it!

Deanna

Shanon Hilton said...

Hi Melynda, We use nasturtiums the same way as Mrs. Rabe - pest control and salad ingredient!

Shanon Hilton said...

Hi Pam, I'm afraid my hydrogen peroxide dilution isn't very scientific. I'm guessing it's one part hydrogen peroxide to ~20 parts water. I have no idea if that's an appropriate amount, but it seems to be working. If it's too heavy on the peroxide, the leaves will disintegrate. I think the peroxide solution works with powdery mildew regardless of what plant it affects. Give it a try and let me know! I think I also recall reading somewhere that extract of horseradish is also supposed to work, but I didn't have any of that on hand to try!

Shanon Hilton said...

Thank you to everyone else for stopping by and commenting!

Kirstin said...

YUMMY!! I'm going to look at your blog more. I didn't do a garden this year but hopefully I will again next year. I love some of your "natural" pest detterents!

Deb said...

Great post with information on pests! Beautiful strawberries!

Susan said...

Amazing. What a garden. After all that work, such beautiful rewards.

Hope your day is blessed!

Bunch of Barrons said...

Wow! Looks great!

tiarastantrums said...

wow - lucky girl!! The bunnies always eat our strawberries - so we gave up on that fruit. My husband mowed over our watermelons - our beans were awesome first pick - then they all died (boo hoo) - the deer ate all the tops of my beets and our radishes never took! Not a stellar year for us!