Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Allergies and Delinquency

It never ceases to amaze me how food can affect behavior. If I had not witnessed it first hand with my own child, I do not think I would appreciate the depth of its impact. Joseph Keon makes an intriguing suggestion in his book, Whitewash: The Disturbing Truth About Cow's Milk & Your Health: that there is a connection between juvenile delinquency and food allergies, particularly to milk, corn and sugar. Studies have shown that delinquent adolescents consume ten times as much milk as their non-problematic peers. Over consumption or addiction to any food is thought to be an indicator of a food allergy. While this alone does not show a causal relationship, the potential connection should be investigated further.

Photo by Arvind Balaraman
If the conclusion Keon makes is true, I can't help but wonder whether the futures of so many troubled youths could be different with early detection of food allergies.

No comments: