Saturday, June 18, 2011

Recipe: Arugula & Broccoli Soup

While I detest meal planning, I have been finding a certain delight in being creative and making due with what's on hand in the garden - and right now, that's mainly arugula. Last year, golf-ball sized hail shredded our arugula patch and so I salvaged it by turning it into pesto. Our arugula did not meet the same fate this year, and so I'm thrilled to be exploring new recipe options. So far, we've eaten it for breakfast in scrambled eggs, similar to this recipe. We've made this Arugula, Roasted Red Pepper and Asparagus Salad minus the olives - twice - because it was so tasty! And I plan on making Everyday Paleo's Arugula Chicken Salad tonight, should we have enough arugula left for it.

Since the last few days have been rainy and cool, a soup seemed to be in order. I found the Arugula and Broccoli Soup recipe at Gywenth Paltrow's website, GOOP Detox Diet. We doubled the recipe and omitted the lemon. My son loved his green soup!


Arugula-Broccoli Soup (serves 3)
1 tsp coconut oil
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup yellow onions, diced
1 cup broccoli florets, diced
4-5 cups water (more if you need)
2 cups arugula, packed

In a large sauce pan, heat oil and saute onions and garlic until soft. Add broccoli and water, cooking until bright green. Add arugula until wilted and soft. Transfer to a blender or use an immersion blender to puree and enjoy!

Linked to Bacon Time, Seasonal Sundays, Savory Sundays, Monday Mania, Barn Hop, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Meatless Monday, Meatless Mondays, MMMM, Mangia Mondays, Weekend Gourmet Carnival, Sugar Free Sunday, Mouthwatering Monday, Made it on Monday, Traditional Tuesdays Hearth & Soul, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Made from Scratch Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Delectable Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Real Food Wednesday, Gluten-free Wednesdays, What's Cooking Wednesday, Whisking Wednesday, Foodie Wednesday, Recipes I Can't Wait to Try, What's on Your Plate?, Frugal Food, Full Plate Thursday, It's a Keeper, Recipe Swap, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter, Food Trip, Fun with Food, Fight Back Friday, Fresh Bites Friday, Fat Camp Friday, Foodie Friday, Friday Favorites, Friday Potluck, Feed Me Tweet Me, Foodie Friday, Primal Cave.

15 comments:

Amanda-The Sweet Details said...

Yum!! Thanks for sharing this at Savory Sundays! It looks great!!

shopannies said...

love broccoli soup and cant wait to try your recipe with some fresh additions come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com and see what I shared

Miriam said...

Great soup recipe! I immagine it to taste heavenly with veggies right from the garden :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Eric and Moriah said...

This sounds great. We have an over abundance of arugula right now, so I will have to make this recipe. I'm also looking for more ways to use coconut oil.

sensitiveeconomist said...

What a delicious recipe! I am sensitive to onion...I wonder what would be a good substitute? Have a great day.

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Mrs. Cox.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said...

Ooh! This sounds absolutely delicious! I'll have to try it :)

Lark (SparkyLarky) said...

Thank you for linking up to Made it on Monday! I have to admit I have never used Arugala before. So you may just get me to , with this recipe...because I love Broccoli

ddzeller said...

Hi I just stopped by the Pennywise Platter to check for soup recipe ideas because I have a soup project on Mondays at my blog. I found some great ideas here last week. I like your blog beause you seem to have healthy recipes. I don't eat meat, fish, poultry and dairy doesn't agree with me. Not sure I'm hot about the blog link parties--do you ever get real followers from those or are most people who post recipes just hoping to get links to their own blogs and want you to join their blog parties? Anyway, stop by my blog on Monday if you're interested and see what I've done with your recipe.

Miz Helen said...

Hi Shanon,
This is a great soup. I just love your combination of Arugula and Broccoli, it looks delicious. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and I look forward to seeing you again real soon.
Have a great week end!
Miz Helen

Shanon Hilton said...

DDZeller: Do you have a comments section on your blog? I do agree with your take on the blog hops though... The shark watermelon = too much time on your hands (creepy).

Cheerful said...

great recipe to try, thanks for sharing! have a great weekend! :)

Alea Milham said...

I am a huge fan of arugula and love discovering a new way to use it. The argula and broccoli soup looks delicious. Thanks for sharing your recipe with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

Alea Milham said...

BTW, I have enjoyed looking around your site and am now your latest follower. Looking forward to reading more.

HaleyLeann said...

This looks wonderful! So glad the hail storms have been easier on your crops this year. Thanks for linking up on Recipes I Can't Wait to Try!!!

Miz Helen said...

Congratulations Shanon!
You are featured on Full Plate Thursday this week! You are welcome to stop by and pick up a Red Plate if you like. Have a wonderful week end!
Miz Helen