Saturday, June 25, 2011

Recipe: Arugula Apple Chicken Salad

We made this recipe last weekend for supper and it was the best arugula salad recipe I have ever tasted. Even my husband said it was one of his 'more favorite' salad recipes. This recipe comes from Everyday Paleo, but since we reworked the dressing, I thought I would share our revision. The bacon, in my opinion, is what makes this recipe. We are fortunate to have a local source for nitrate, preservative free bacon that comes from a family farm called Cool Springs Ranch. The bacon slices are nice and thick and I'm am only just a little addicted to them.

One note of caution: on the picky eater toddler-friendly scale, I'd give this recipe a two. However, if your two year old is anything like mine, a bit of ketchup usually does the trick.


Arugula Apple Chicken Salad
1 chicken breast, cooked and diced
2 cups cabbage, shredded
2-3 Tblsp green onion, diced
6 cups arugula
1 apple, diced
6 strips bacon, diced
Small handful of slivered almonds

Dressing
6 Tblsp olive oil
1 Tblsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tblsp stone ground mustard
2-3 Tbsp dried rosemary
4 sun dried tomato halves, diced
3 green onions diced
Juice from 1/2 a lemon
Sea salt and black pepper to taste

In a large mixing bowl toss in the arugula, cabbage, apple, and onion. While the chicken and bacon are still warm, add these items to the bowl as well. Place all dressing ingredients into a jar and blend using an immersion blender. Toss the ingredients all together and serve immediately topped with a small handful of sliced almonds.

Linked to Bacon Time, Seasonal Sunday, Savory Sunday, Sugar-free Sunday, Weekend Gourmet Carnival, Monday Mania, Barn Hop, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Mouthwatering Monday, Mangia Mondays, Traditional Tuesdays, Hearth & Soul, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Made from Scratch Tuesday, Delectable Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Made it on Monday, WMFW, Gluten Free Wednesdays, What's Cooking Wednesday, Foodie Wednesday, What's on Your Plate, Real Food Weekly, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter Thursday, Picnic Linky, Frugal Food Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, It's a Keeper Thursday, Recipe Swap, Fight Back Friday.

9 comments:

Raj @ Flip Cookbook said...

What a perfect salad for the coming holiday weekend! Thx for the share at this week's Sugar Free Sunday.

Katie @ On the Banks of Squaw Creek said...

laughing at the ketchup comment. It's the same way around our house. It also helps if we call the greens "giraffe food."

I'm on a salad kick lately (trying to lose baby weight!) and I'm definitely adding this to my repertoire!

This would also be a great candidate for the National Turkey Federations' meal upgrade contest! Basically, you would just make it with turkey instead of chicken and you could win a trip! The details are on my blog or www.mealupgrade.com

Shanon Hilton said...

Yes, ketchup makes everything taste good. We are *trying* to get away from the ketchup... it's a bit of a crutch unfortunately!

Thanks for the info on the trip!

Grandma Bonnie said...

Looks tasty.
New follower from What's cooking Wednesday.
Hope you follow back.
http://grandmabonniescloset.blogspot.com/

Lark (SparkyLarky) said...

I am always looking for "different" types of salad's....and this looks like a great one to add.

Glad you linked it up to "Made it on Monday". I home you will make yourself at home on Lark's Country Heart. :)

Miz Helen said...

Hi Shanon,
I just love a great salad in the summer and this is a great salad that I would really enjoy. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon. Have a great week end!
Miz Helen

Swathi said...

Ketchup is my secret weapon when comes to my little one. This salad looks dleicious and healthy. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul hop.

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness. It's one in the morning, and I should be going to bed, but instead I'm looking at your delicious food and my stomach is grumbling - because, well, there's NOTHING better than chicken - it's totally one of my favorite, favorite foods! I (surprisingly!) have all the ingredients for this, and will totally be making it in the morning!

Linda said...

I'm not a cabbage fan, but everything else sounds delicious! Thanks for participating in the salad challenge.