Thursday, June 30, 2011

Around the Yard: Cabbage Moths

This week cut worms have made their appearance in my kale patch, in my lettuce and in my snow peas. Since learning about the benefits of wild chamomile as a cut worm deterrent, I doused my kale in wild chamomile tea yesterday - buds and all. This morning there were no more casualties - so it appears that it might just work. The question is, how long will it keep the cutworms at bay?

Also, cabbage worms have arrived. Despite my floating row covers, they managed to find their way inside and have chewed fairly sinister looking holes in the leaves of my cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower. I may have to revert to plan B: operation pantyhose.

Here is how our garden is growing this week (you can check out last week here):

 Mounds of harvested spinach headed for the freezer.

 My spinach taste-tester.

 Baby collards.

 Garlic scapes are almost ready.

 The tomatoes are getting bigger - it won't be long now!

 Bunches of carrots.

 Mustard greens. I'm searching for ways to enjoy eating this one. Recipes anyone?

 Snow wind peas. Rows alternating with more radishes.

 Arugula is flowering. I will be attempting to save seed.

 A nice long pepper on a very wind damaged pepper plant.

 Mystery winter squash.

 Cherries. This bush was planted last year, so we'll only get a small sample this year.

 Pak Choy. It's so pretty I almost don't want to eat it. Almost.

How are things in your garden this week?

9 comments:

Suzanne said...

visiting from sidewalk shoes...

Your garden looks fabulous, but that spinach taste tester steals the show. I love the variety you have in your garden, and (you're right) the Pak Choy is so pretty!

Wearinbeads said...

That is one fine looking tomato. Is that a Mr. Stripey?

Shanon Hilton said...

The tomato is an Ardwyna Polish Paste Tomato! The variety came from Stellar Seeds. Thanks for popping by. :)

Pam said...

Thanks for linking up! Your garden is looking good!

Melynda said...

The Pak Choy looks great!

Daphne said...

That pak choy is perfect. And you are still getting spinach? Wow. I pulled mine out in May. I couldn't imagine eating spinach in July.

Shanon Hilton said...

The benefits of living in Southern Saskatchewan, I guess. My first planting of spinach is done, but I did plant a second as an experiment to see how much more I'll be able to harvest!

Audrey said...

Can you post how you are freezing your spinach?? Thank You!

Shanon Hilton said...

Hi Audrey, This spinach went in washed and chopped. However, I know that you are supposed to blanch vegetables before freezing them to help maintain their nutritional value. I blanched my other greens, but I didn't bother with the spinach because I suspect it will get eaten up fairly quickly. ;)

To blanch, simply place your washed and chopped greens in a colander and submerge in a pot of boiling water until slightly wilted (approximately 1-3 minutes). Submerge the greens in icy cold water. Once cool, strain, dry and bag. Repeat and freeze!