Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Around the Yard: Rain, Rain, Go Away

I'm feeling particularly thankful that we decided to build raised beds in our yard. They've made a huge difference when it comes to drainage. Last year when our city flooded, the produce growing in our raised beds did wonderfully. With all of the rain we've been getting, this year is turning out to be no different.

My heart goes out to all of the growers whose livelihoods are being affected by this wet weather. At our local farmer's market, one seller has been trying to get me strawberry plants for the last six weeks, but much of her yard is still under water. She sells other produce throughout the summer as well, but this year, she doubts whether she will be able to get her garden in at all. With all the rain, farmers and market gardeners in the area have experienced their share of hardships.

Here is how our garden is growing this week (you can check out last week here):

We've been harvesting (and eating) a lot of spinach this week.

 Container baby bok choy.

 Russian snow peas - a gift from a seed-saving friend.

 Chioggia beets - my very favorite variety.

 Hello Mr. (or Mrs.) Pollinator. Thank you for taking care of our raspberry patch.

 Tiny little apples.

 A tray of lettuce and kale transplants and a few other starts.

 Our community garden plot. It's a good thing you can't see just how 
bad the weed situation is out here. 

 Lots and lots and lots of onions.

 Our brassicas under protection from the cabbage moth. I recently learned from here that cabbage moths love canola, which is why we have such a problem with them in Saskatchewan. Another interesting tidbit that I just learned, after having found several of my lovely plants sawed off at their base, is that cutworms would rather starve than attack a plant that has been treated with the extract of pineapple weed or wild chamomile (I wrote about chamomile previously here)! Another helpful benefit of that wonderful plant!

How are things in your garden this week?

10 comments:

HolleyGarden said...

That's interesting about the pineapple extract or chamomile. Sorry the rain is hurting so many farmers there. The drought is affecting them here. I wonder sometimes if any farmer anywhere is doing well this year.

Tracey said...

Like HolleyGarden, we are having a horrid drought! Thank you so much for the tip using the extracts against cutworms. I have to research more on the chioggia beets you showed as I'm not sure they will grow here; I am trying to add new items each year so would love to try these. Happy growing.

Allison at Novice Life said...

Interesting [and good to know] about the cutworms! Thanks for sharing. What variety of apple do you have?

Shanon Hilton said...

The apple in the picture is a Norland. Thanks for stopping by.

Daphne said...

I'd never heard of wild chamomile before. I wonder if regular chamomile would be a deterrent too. Cutworms can be suck a pain.

Pam said...

I love looking at your garden! Thanks for linking up to Garden Tuesday!

Jean said...

Happy Bloomin' Tuesday! Great looking garden! Jean

Deb said...

very nice veggie garden!

Shanon Hilton said...

Daphne: I don't know about regular chamomile. The site I found the information specifically referenced pineapple weed, but you could definitely give it a try. I'd love to hear if it works for you. I just doused my kale in wild chamomile tea today, buds and all. I'm hoping there will be no sawed off plants in the morning. I'm starting to have nightmares about these worms!

Wearinbeads said...

Love visiting your garden. Will need to try zucchini noodles.