Thursday, June 16, 2011

Around the Yard: The Weeds Have Arrived

Where did the week go? Life was a flurry of activity last week getting the garden in, followed by a quick visit with family. I've come back to find things are popping up - including lots of weeds! Perhaps I take back what I said about 'Rethinking Weeds'. Yesterday was spent filling my compost bin with them.

There are tiny little carrot plants up, as well as onions, peas, beans, squash, cucumbers, melons and more greens! Many of the squash and tomato transplants will remain a mystery until they bear fruit, thanks to a little helper who decided that none of the labels were in the right pots.

We've been able to enjoy the first harvest of the year: arugula and radishes. I was beginning to think that perhaps I planted more arugula than we would eat, but now I'm thinking that I didn't plant enough! We've picked an entire raised bed clean this week. I will share some of what we've been doing with it Saturday. Thankfully the spinach is almost ready to eat which will allow the arugula time to produce again. My son has been enjoying pulling radishes all by himself, washing them and then munching on them as he walks around and takes stock of the garden as my official assistant.

Here is how our garden is growing this week (you can check out last week here):

 Arugula bed.

Arugula baby greens - our first harvest.

 Radishes called 'French Breakfast'.

 Scarlet Runner beans to trellis up.

 Spinach. We have a second planting at our community garden. Perhaps next week I will remember to take my camera out there.

 Red onions tucked in a corner.

 Cucumbers are up. Our pepper plants have been moved to a more sheltered location.

 Popping up here is a heritage variety of peas called Blue Podded Peas. It grows upwards of five feet and has beautiful purple-blue flowers and blue pods. This is my second year growing it - it's lovely.

 Tiny little strawberries are forming.

14 comments:

erinleee said...

hey there,
I found you on farmama's "the around the farm. are you a fellow backyard farming canadian?
nice boxes!

Shanon Hilton said...

YES! And according to your profile, we're not too far from each other. I'm in Yorkton, SK. I'm checking out your blog currently.

Leah said...

Hi thre Shannon. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog today. Could you guess I'm another SK prairie girl?

I've been growing the blue podded peas for a few years here myself. Love that rustic looking trellis you have for them. Did you make it yourself?

Shanon Hilton said...

You're the second 'Prairie girl' I've met today from Farmama. Nice to meet you!

Yes, the trellis came from some willow that had been cut down to clear a trail in a park nearby!

kitsapFG said...

It looks like everything is off to a great start in your garden and that arugula looks delicious!

Allison at Novice Life said...

Glad I found your blog! Your gardens look great and what a nice idea to have the sand box near by ;)

HolleyGarden said...

How nice - playing and growing together. I love French Breakfast radishes, too. Exciting to see your strawberries forming.

Daphne said...

I love French Breakfast radishes.

Rosemary said...

What an amazing garden you have, I did not see a weed! French Breakfast radishes are so good understand why your son loves to munch them. He is certainly learning an appreciation for gardening and sandboxing.

Pam said...

I'm so jealous, I love French breakfast radishes...give a little butter and some salt...yum!

Mary said...

Your yard is incredible. Wow! I only have three boxes. This was our first year giving this whole growing thing a chance. This is my first visit. I found you through Beauty and Bedlam Tasty Tuesday.

gardenvariety-hoosier said...

Just found your blog from Daphne's blog. Lots of insightful posts on food and health. I'll be back!

Marjie said...

Stopping by from Pam's.

It's nice that you have company while you play in the garden.

Melynda said...

Stopping by from Pam's, great garden and those french radishes are beautiful!