Thursday, June 9, 2011

Around the Yard: The Garden is In

The garden is in. It is such a wonderful feeling knowing that everything has been planted. Where we live, there is approximately 90 days in between the frost free dates to grow as much food as possible. This year though, I hope to experiment with some cool weather crops and a cold frame to extend our season into the fall a little bit longer. 

Here is how our garden is growing this week (you can check out last week here):


Little tomatoes are growing despite the difficult spring weather these plants endured. We have six different varieties of tomato plants, some 60 planted in total.


Celery transplants are in. Also seeded in this bed are chard, cucumbers that will (hopefully) trellis up and melons.


Baby collard leaves. 


 Spinach is getting bigger. Time to seed a second planting elsewhere.


We have 12 raised 8'x4' beds in the back of our yard, with more plantings around the perimeter of the grass, sitting area, front yard, side yard and community garden plot.


More tomatoes, and beyond that our strawberry patch on one side and herb garden on the other.


 Strawberry flowers.


16 comments:

momof4sweetsisters said...

Your garden look great. I hope you're celery grows well. I've never tried that here in Fl.

W-S Wanderings said...

Your raised beds are inspiring. And SO tidy looking! I hope to develop some raised ones in the coming years. Isn't having a garden helper the best?

Shanon Hilton said...

momof4sweetsisters: This is my first year growing celery. My mother-in-law advised to put milk cartons around it as it grows, otherwise it will turn white. I'll have to round some up and see how it goes.

W-S Wanderings: Yes, my little garden helper is getting better and better at helping too. I love the raised beds. I can start gardening earlier even if it is a very wet spring! :)

Crystal Rassi said...

Off topic - My 3 year old boy has the same rubber boots and has worn them so much they're falling apart! So cute.

perennialgardener said...

Wow, you have some wonderful raised beds for growing lots of yummy veggies! Your little helper is a cutie. :)

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Best of luck with your gardens, the raised beds look great:@)

Deb said...

I LOVE your tall raised beds! We have raised, too, but I love the extra height. Your gardens look like they will produce a bumper crop for you.

Zoey said...

I am so envious of your raised beds!! With all those wonderful beds, I am guessing that you can a ton of veggies every year.

Jean said...

Welcome to Bloomin' Tuesday! Your raised beds look amazing. You have worked hard and will work again at harvest but it will be worth it. Jean

Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen said...

Love your raised beds. They are so much easier to tend to than gardens planted on the ground.

I'm visiting from Garden Tuesday at Sidewalk Shoes. Your helper is adorable.
Sam

Melynda said...

What a great garden, the raised beds are perfect!

Donna Heber said...

Shanon,

It looks like everything is growing so well and you will have some tasty and fresh vegetables as the season progresses.

Pam said...

What an incredible garden!! I love all your raised beds!

Barb said...

So glad that you posted a link on my site, A Life in Balance. The raised beds look absolutely beautiful! Your garden looks more like a potager with the emphasis you've put on design.

Since you mentioned a 90 day growing season, are you in zone 8 perhaps?

daisy said...

You will have quite the harvest in a few months! Nicely done!

Shanon Hilton said...

Thank you to everyone for their lovely comments! Barb, I'm in zone 3!