Saturday, May 21, 2011

Recipe: Paleo Thumb Print Cookies

This recipe has become a staple in our home - thank you Mark Sisson. I was a little doubtful when I looked at the list of ingredients, but they really are delicious. I've tweaked this recipe only slightly, but it is also fantastic in its original form.


Paleo Thumb Print Cookies (makes 16-20)
4 dates, pits removed
1 3/4 cup ground pecan and walnut flour
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tsp baking soda
2 Tblsp coconut oil, melted
1 egg or 1/4 cup flax eggs
1 tsp vanilla (optional)
jar of preserves, sweetened with honey

Preheat the oven to 350°. Pulse the dates in the food processor until they breakdown. Add the nut flour, baking soda and coconut and pulse a few more times. Mix with the egg, vanilla and coconut oil. You want the consistency of the dough to hold together in order to roll a ball. If you need more nut flour to get that consistency, add it by the tablespoon. Roll the balls out on a pre-greased cookie sheet and place a thumb print in each one. Bake 10-12 minutes. Place a dollop of jam in each thumb print once cooled and munch away!

This recipe is linked to Monday Mania, Traditional Tuesdays, Real Food Weekly and Primal Cave.

3 comments:

Rhi The Challenged Cook said...

What a delicious and interesting recipe. I use ground almonds and hazelnuts in a lot of my baking, would they work the same way as the pecan/walnut flour? Maybe I'll try anyway, yum.

Shanon Hilton said...

Yes, you could substitute almond flour in the same way - I've never used hazelnut flour, but I'm guessing it would work just fine too!

Marie said...

Hi Shanon! I've found your blog by looking for wholesome biscuit recipes and I love it. You have some great stuff on here and I've ended up spending a lot of time flipping through your posts. I've also blogged my own version of your recipe (with links and full credit, of course) in case you want to have a look. The post is a bit tongue in cheek:) http://fiveflavours.marieszamborski.com/2011/11/caveman-biscuits/

-Marie