Saturday, April 23, 2011

Recipe: Flourless Apple Pancakes

I found breakfast to be a difficult meal of the day to transition to on the Paleo diet. Let's face it, breakfast is mainly a grain-based affair in North America. This recipe, which comes out of Jenny Lass and Jodi Bages' cookbook, Grain-Free Gourmet, is fast, simple and kid-friendly. I also love the fact that there is no flour substitute used! We like to eat these pancakes topped with fresh fruit or cooked up Saskatoon berries.


Flourless Apple Pancakes

1 apple, peeled, cored and grated
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp ground cinnamon, or extra to taste
Clarified butter or coconut oil for frying

Pre-heat your griddle. Beat the eggs and cinnamon and then prepare your apple. Squeeze out the juice - like you would a potato latke - and mix the remaining grated apple into the eggs. The original recipe suggests making one giant pancake, but with a toddler in the house, we cook all pancakes dollar-sized. Scoop one heaping tablespoon of batter onto a greased griddle and wait until they firm up enough to flip. If you get liquid oozing out the sides, push it back and up the sides of the pancake to keep them looking respectable.

We often triple this recipe as it doesn't make enough for a family of three. You can keep them warm in the oven at low heat (170°) until they're ready to be served all at once. Plate, top and dig in. You probably won't have leftovers.

5 comments:

Megan Hassen said...

Very interesting recipe! I am going to try this. Thanks for sharing.

beaskneas said...

A great breakfast idea is protein shakes. We have them during the week which makes weekend breakfasts more special. We usually use 1 cup berries, plus chia seeds or flax, 1/2 a banana, (cow, goat or soy) milk or juice, and 1 scoop protien. Fast, easy, tasty! A more "dessert" shake is banana, peanut or almond butter, cocoa, milk and protien.

Emma said...

These look yummy! I think my 2-year-old would love them as much as these. I'm going to pin this to remind me to make them.

We've got lots of apples at the moment so now's the time!

Thanks for sharing.

Emma said...

OK, I made these this morning and they were great! I squeezed the excess apple juice into a cup and mixed it with a little water for my daughter to drink.

I was thinking this would be a good way to use up apple pulp when making juice in the juicer. You'd have to peel and core the apples first, but it would be better than throwing the pulp into the compost, which is what I usually do.

Shanon Hilton said...

Hi Emma,

Thanks for letting me know! I'm so glad they worked out for you. Definitely save the juice!

If you try the pulp, I'd love to hear how it works. That's exactly how we make our apple butter! --Shanon