Thursday, March 24, 2011

Recipe: Paleo Brownies

I know chocolate is not Paleo, but when chocolate calls, this is a far better alternative to anything you can find in the store. This is a modified brownie recipe from my childhood, and it is the best brownie recipe ever - I'm not kidding.


Paleo Chocolate Brownies (makes 12-16)
1/2 cup coconut oil
9 Tblsp organic cocoa powder
1/2 cup organic honey
3 eggs
8 dates
1 tsp gluten-free vanilla extra
1 1/4 cup pre-soaked nut flour*
1/2 tsp gluten-free baking powder**

* I have made these brownies with both store bought almond flour and a homemade blend of 50-50 pecan/walnuts ground in my food processor. The pecans and walnuts were soaked in a salt solution for 8 hours, dried in the oven at low heat and then ground in the food processor. The above are made with the pecan-walnut flour and I think are the better way to go - they are delicious!

** The Spunky Coconut has a great grain-free, corn-free recipe for baking powder here if you want to make your own.

Pre-heat the oven to 350°. Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan over low heat. Add in the cocoa powder and mix until blended. Meanwhile, blend the pecans and walnuts in the food processor until ground. Remove and set aside. De-pit the dates and pulse them in the food processor until they are crumbly and then add to the saucepan until they break down somewhat. Remove from heat and add in vanilla, eggs and honey. Stir until blended. Add the nut flour and baking powder. Once mixed, pour into a pre-greased 8x8 baking pan and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the center comes out clean.

Let them cool for 30 minutes - if you can - and enjoy.

The recipe is linked up with Real Food Wednesday. and Primal Cave.

3 comments:

Get Real Chris said...

Hi Shannon,
I saw this post on Real Food Wednesdays and just had to check out you site. Ive been primal for almost 2 months and am feeling great. Thanks for the yummy recipe.

Shanon Hilton said...

Thanks for stopping by. You'll have to let me know how your like the recipe once you make it. Removing dairy and grains from my diet has made a huge impact on my health too!

Emma said...

This looks amazing! I'm such a chocaholic!